Work location : Kanto district - Ibaraki
Research field : Informatics - Human interface and interaction / Humanities & Social Sciences - Unspecified / Others - Unspecified
Date of publication : 2023/10/16
End date of accepting applications : 2023/11/15
Date of update : 2023/10/18
Assistant Professor level : Regular employee / Nontenured / Non-tenure track / Probationary period absent
Background of the recruitment and description of the project
Institute of Library, Information and Media Science, University of Tsukuba seeks an assistant professor who will conduct education and research in the field of digital media.
Work content and job description
* The successful candidate will conduct research at Special Joint Research Project "Strategic Research Platform towards Digital Nature" sponsored by Pixie Dust Technologies, Inc.
* The successful candidate is expected to teach at the master's program in Informatics of the Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, such as "Special Seminar in Informatics," and to supervise graduate students.
* The candidate is expected to teach undergraduate courses at the College of Media Arts, Science and Technology, School of Informatics, specifically "Frontier Technology in Media Arts," "Digital Content Expression and Arts Laboratory," and research seminar courses, etc., and to supervise undergraduate students, with Associate Professor Yoichi Ochiai.
* Administrative duties include committees, publicity, admission, etc.
Applicants are required to teach classes in both Japanese and English.
Key words: hologram generation technology, digital fabrication, digital exhibition, user evaluation of digital media
Institute of Library, Information and Media Science
Annual Salary : 4 million yen ~ 6 million yen
Salary model: about 4,800,000 JPY/Year at the age of 31
(*) Working conditions including salary will be determined according to the university regulations.
Education and Degree Requirements
Ph.D. / Doctor
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant field by the time of the appointment
* Sufficient capability to conduct research in relevant fields
* At least two publications (peer-reviewed academic journals, peer-reviewed proceedings of international conferences, academic books) in the last 5 years (However, even if the publication is five years or earlier, it is possible to include only one case that can be regarded as particularly important.)
* The enthusiasm to work on education, research, and university management; Interdisciplinary collaborative research is highly encouraged.
Nontenured - Non-tenure track
Until November 30th, 2025
Probationary period absent
Transportation expenses : available
Employees' Health Insurance : available
Employees' Pension Insurance : available
Worker's accident insurance : available
Employment insurance : available
Measures for preventing passive smoking at the workplace
The University of Tsukuba campus is completely non-smoking.
Number of hired
Job content supplemental explanation
(1) Institute of Library, Information and Media Science
(2) Master's and Doctoral Programs in Informatics, Degree Programs in Comprehensive Human Sciences, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences
(3) College of Media Arts, Science and Technology, School of Informatics
[Starting date] As soon as possible after April 1st, 2024
2023/10/16~2023/11/15 Deadline for receipt
Application documents (specified forms)
Other online application forms
(5) Research plan (about 300 words)
(6) Teaching plan (about 300 words)
(7) Contact details of two references (full name, affiliation, email address, relationship)
(8) Self-declaration on Specific Categories (see the attached file.)
(9) Consent to Processing and Extraterritorial Transfer of Personal Data under GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation) (See the attached file.) (Only the applicants located in the countries where belong to the European Economic Area or in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland should submit the consent form).
Please upload the file in which all documents from (1) to (9) are in PDF format via JREC-IN Portal Web application.
Return of application documents
We will dispose of all application documents responsibly.
* Out of application period.
URL of this job posting
Selection / Notification of result
An interview will be conducted for selected candidates either Online (e.g. zoom) or Onsite in Kasuga Area of University of Tsukuba. The applicants pay for their own travel expenses for the interview.
Application materials are used for selection process only.
Notification of result
University of Tsukuba
Professor, Institute of Library, Information and Media Science, University of Tsukuba
* University of Tsukuba commits itself to actively contributing to the formation of a society founded on human equality and gender equality in accordance with the spirits of "Basic Law for a Gender-Equal Society" and the principles and policies of "Basic Philosophy and Policies on Gender Equality".
* University of Tsukuba has established the University of Tsukuba Rules on Security Export Control in accordance with the Foreign Exchange Trade Act, and conducts strict examinations when employing foreign nationals, persons from foreign universities/ corporations/ government agencies, etc. or persons who fall under any of the specific categories.
* University of Tsukuba is one of Japan's oldest and most respected universities, being ranked in Japan's top 10, and in the top 250 globally. Located in Tsukuba city, less than an hour train ride from central Tokyo, the university offers a pleasant, relaxed, college-town feel, with all the conveniences of the capital within easy reach.