Work location : Kanto district - Ibaraki
Research field : Informatics - Mathematical informatics / Informatics - Statistical science / Social Infrastructure - Social systems engineering
Date of publication : 2023/11/13
End date of accepting applications : 2023/12/13
Date of update : 2023/11/13
Assistant Professor level : Regular employee / Nontenured / Non-tenure track / Probationary period absent
Background of the recruitment and description of the project
Institute of Library, Information and Media Science, University of Tsukuba is looking for an assistant professor who will conduct education and research in the field of data science of decision making. The field supports decision-making using statistical methods and machine learning from data.
Work content and job description
Key words: Dicision making, Statistics, Machine learning, Information fairness, Information bias, Agreement formulation
* Graduate courses at the Master's Program in Informatics of the Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences: Teaching "Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition", "Special Seminar in Informatics", etc. related seminar courses, etc.; and supervision of graduate students;
* Undergraduate courses at the College of Knowledge and Library Sciences, School of Informatics: Teaching "Linear Algebra", "Machine Learning", etc. related seminar courses, etc.; and supervision of undergraduate students;
* Administrative duties (e.g. committees, publicity, etc.);
Applicants are required to teach classes in both Japanese and English.
Institute of Library, Information and Media Science
Annual Salary : 5 million yen ~ 7 million yen
Salary model: about 6,000,000 JPY/Year at the age of 31 in case of working full-time continuously after getting the degree of doctor
(*) Working conditions including salary will be determined according to the university regulations.
Education and Degree Requirements
Ph.D. / Doctor
Ph.D. or equivalent degree in a relevant field by the time of the appointment
* Sufficient capability to conduct research in relevant fields
* At least two publications (peer-reviewed academic journals, peer-reviewed proceedings of international conferences, academic books) in the last 5 years
* The enthusiasm to work on education, research and university management at the University, and in addition, activity in interdisciplinary collaborative research
"IMAGINE THE FUTURE. Assistant Professor System" is applied to this position. See the attached document for more information about it.
At the end of the period of this position, it is possible to apply to the examination for transferring to the tenure track position of assistant professor.
Nontenured - Non-tenure track
Probationary period absent
Pay increase system : available
Bonus : available
Retirement allowances : available
Transportation expenses : available
Employees' Health Insurance : available
Employees' Pension Insurance : available
Worker's accident insurance : available
Employment insurance : available
Measures for preventing passive smoking at the workplace
The University of Tsukuba campus is completely non-smoking.
Number of hired
Job content supplemental explanation
(1) Institute of Library, Information and Media Science
(2) Master's and Doctoral Programs in Informatics, Degree Programs in Comprehensive Human Sciences, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences
(3) College of Knowledge and Library Sciences, School of Informatics
[Starting date] As soon as possible after April 1st, 2024
2023/11/13~2023/12/13 Deadline for receipt
Application documents (specified forms)
Other online application forms
(5) Research plan (about 300 words)
(6) Teaching plan (about 300 words)
(7) Contact details of two references (full name, affiliation, email address, relationship)
(8) Self-declaration on Specific Categories (see the attached file.)
(9) Consent to Processing and Extraterritorial Transfer of Personal Data under GDPR (EU General Data Protection Regulation) (See the attached file.) (Only the applicants located in the countries where belong to the European Economic Area or in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland should submit the consent form).
Please upload the file in which all documents from (1) to (9) are in PDF format via JREC-IN Portal Web application.
Return of application documents
We will dispose of all application documents responsibly.
URL of this job posting
Selection / Notification of result
An interview will be conducted for selected candidates either Online (e.g. zoom) or Onsite in Kasuga Area of University of Tsukuba. The applicants pay for their own travel expenses for the interview.
Application materials are used for selection process only.
Notification of result
University of Tsukuba
Professor, Institute of Library, Information and Media Science, University of Tsukuba
* University of Tsukuba commits itself to actively contributing to the formation of a society founded on human equality and gender equality in accordance with the spirits of "Basic Law for a Gender-Equal Society" and the principles and policies of "Basic Philosophy and Policies on Gender Equality".
* University of Tsukuba has established the University of Tsukuba Rules on Security Export Control in accordance with the Foreign Exchange Trade Act, and conducts strict examinations when employing foreign nationals, persons from foreign universities/ corporations/ government agencies, etc. or persons who fall under any of the specific categories.